The second wave is here - and older people remain the most at risk
Older people are struggling to simply survive as India fights to stay afloat amid the COVID-19 lockdown. Older persons have been the worst hit, as they are the most vulnerable. The health system cannot respond to the ferocious increase in cases with a widespread lack of essential medical items and support. The situation facing older people is particularly dire. Older persons in India have an urgent need for food packages, hygiene kits, personal health support, water, sanitation, and vaccine support. Your support can help India fight this pandemic.
• In 24 hours, the Government of India reported 320,000 new cases of COVID-19 and 2,771 deaths from the virus.
• The official death toll is surpassing 200,000 people and the actual figure is expected to be much higher.
• The medical systems across the country are faltering as hospitals quickly run out of oxygen.
• Hospitals are turning patients away.
• Governments around the world are lending supplies, but these will take weeks to get to vulnerable populations and we need to act today.
HelpAge USA is responding to the urgent needs of older people in India. Your contributions can help provide food packages, hygiene kits, personal health support, water, sanitation, and vaccine support. We need to help India fight this pandemic.